Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Black Stuff

Occasionally you'll get a shamrock poured into the head of your Guinness (faintly seen about). I'm not entirely sure if this reserved for tourists or not. Makes a pretty picture though. 
Guinness is undoubtedly one of the most famous things to come out of Ireland. It is ubiquitous with Ireland, and also with Saint Patrick's Day, as many folks nowadays forgo the Saint's Feast Day to partake in heavy drinking. Despite its part in some misguided celebrations, Guinness is an Irish celebrity. It was created in 1759 by Arthur Guinness and has really been a steadfast part of Irish culture ever since.

Black and beautiful (and very photogenic), adorned by a creamy froth, this drink is lovingly referred to as the Black Stuff. As with any drink, especially alcoholic libations, it is not for everyone. On my first trip to Ireland, I could not finish a pint Guinness, but over the years it has won me over. It is now one of my most favorite beers, deceivingly light in calories yet complex in taste. If anything it has become nostalgic for me, whisking me away with each sip to the cobbled lanes and warm pubs of Ireland. And it's almost all I order when in Ireland (and it does taste even better there, truly). Most certainly, it will be part of my Saint Patrick's Day celebrations, accompanying a beef stew or seafood chowder and some brown bread. 

At the Guinness Storehouse

Guinness Storehouse

Just one of Guinness's fun adverts, Temple Bar, Dublin.

Letting a pint settle at Sean's Bar, the oldest Pub in Ireland (Arguably Europe - 900 AD). Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment