Thursday, March 8, 2018

My Favorite Places

It would probably be impossible to pick my favorite place in Ireland, but picking my favorite places, that I can do. Let me share some places on the Emerald Isle that have won my heart. 

Dunluce Castle sits perched on the North coast of Antrim in Northern Ireland. I've been here twice and have a personal connection with this wild & dramatic castle ruin. You can read more about my experiences HERE.

Cahir Castle, in County Tipperary, is one of my favorite castles. It is the perfect combination of ruin & restoration. Situated on a river with gorgeous grounds, this castle takes my mind right to the Middle Ages. It has been restored in a manner that retains this ambience, without filling it up with antiques and décor that I generally find distracting.

Glendalough Monastic Ruins and Forest combine two or Ireland's best attributes -stunning scenery and incredible history. This place is pure magic. The forest glows under a blanket of moss, a waterfall cascades down the mountain side, pristine valley lake whisper of the history they have seen. And at the base of the mountain and through out the forest, the ruins of a century monastery beckon your exploration. I could return here time and time again. Learn more and see more photos of my journeys into Glendalough HERE.

Dublin, of course, with its cobbled lanes, cathedrals, pubs, and history. My favorite thing about Dublin is its walkability. We nearly always explore Dublin on foot for there is so much to marvel at and always something new. Its lack the intensity and overwhelming size and busy-ness of larger European cities without losing any charm. 

Tollymore Forest Park is one of the most lovely woodlands I've encountered in Ireland. Beautiful, whimsical, and kind of a hidden gem. Architectural follies dot the forest and evoke magic of another era. Explore with me HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment